Following veterinary treatment or surgery, sometimes your veterinarian will recommend that your furry friend wear a dog cone. During a time when we pet parents are feeling anxious following a procedure on our pet, this could lead us to question whether a dog cone is really necessary or safe, especially for certain dog breeds. So, are cones safe for fluffy dogs like Samoyeds?
Correctly fitting dog cones are usually safe, even for fluffy dogs like Samoyeds. If worn for the recommended period and in the way advised by your veterinarian, they help your dog to heal from a surgical procedure, for example.
Table of Contents
- Why Do Dogs, Including Fluffy Dogs Like Samoyeds, Wear Cones?
- The Pros And Cons Of Fluffy Dogs Like Samoyeds Wearing Cones
- Alternatives To Cones
- Conclusion: Are Cones Safe For Fluffy Dogs Like Samoyeds?
Why Do Dogs, Including Fluffy Dogs Like Samoyeds, Wear Cones?
Sometimes following veterinary procedures, vets recommend that dogs wear a cone to minimize the risks of them chewing, itching, or licking the affected area.
Depending on your dog’s character and the invasiveness of the procedure (sampling vs surgery), the time a dog may need to wear the collar varies. It could be for a few days to a few weeks.
The Pros And Cons Of Fluffy Dogs Like Samoyeds Wearing Cones
Let’s start with the pros.
The Pros Of Wearing A Dog Cone
Here’s the list:
- Reduces the chances of secondary infection
- Reduces the possibility of bandages or stitches being removed
- Can reduce recovery time if worn as recommended
- Can easily be cleaned and reused
- Helps reduce the need for additional trips to the veterinarian
The Cons Of Wearing A Dog Cone
Here’s the list:
- Can be uncomfortable if the incorrect size or not worn correctly
- Can cause your dog to become a bit clumsy when eating, drinking, and moving
- Dogs usually don’t like wearing them
- Usually heavier than alternatives
- Some dogs can still manage to access affected areas even with the cone on
Alternatives To Cones
If you and your pet have decided that a cone isn’t the way to go, have no fear, as there are a few other options available.
These collars are very similar to dog cones but made of softer and lighter material. They are more comfortable for dogs and come in a range of colors and sizes.
This option is lighter and less likely to disturb your pet while they are eating or drinking. Pet parents just need to be careful that their pet avoids any prickly bushes!
Surgical Recovery Suits
These suits are probably the most expensive option, but it means your pet won’t need to wear something around its neck. Depending on the location of the affected area, these suits may not be advisable. They’re best for covering areas on the abdomen or thorax.
Conclusion: Are Cones Safe For Fluffy Dogs Like Samoyeds?
A correctly fitting dog cone that is worn appropriately is safe, even for fluffy dogs like Samoyeds. It can reduce the chances of complications following veterinary procedures and prevent avoidable trips to vets.
So, what’s got you thinking about dog cones and fluffy dogs like Samoyeds? Let us know in the comments below!