Everyone loves mealtime. But are you concerned your Samoyed loves eating a little too much? Understanding Samoyed feeding amounts is tricky. But we’re here to help. Contrary to what some articles will tell you, Samoyeds are prone to overeating. And eating too much can lead to an overweight and unhappy dog.
We know you don’t want that. So let’s talk about how much you need to feed your Samoyed so they can live their best and healthiest life.
Now, there’s no hard and fast rule that says exactly how much or how often your specific dog should eat. That will vary from dog to dog. But, we’ll share a few simple tips about healthy eating habits that will set you and your Samoyed up for success.
Table of Contents
- Samoyed feeding amounts for puppies
- Samoyed feeding amounts for adult dogs
- How to tell if your Samoyed is overweight
- How to prevent overeating and weight gain
- What to look for in Samoyed’s food
- In conclusion…
Samoyed feeding amounts for puppies
Samoyeds are considered puppies for the first 9-18 months of their lives. And during this youthful time, your furry friend will go through rapid growth spurts.
Depending on your dog’s bone structure and size, you can expect them to gain roughly 60 pounds during this youthful period. This rapid growth means they’ll require more food per day than an adult Samoyed.
- Puppies 8-12 weeks old should have 4 meals per day
- Puppies between 6 months and 1 year old should have 3 meals per day
- Puppies 1 year + can transition to 1 large meal or 2 smaller meals per day.
It’s vital in this stage of life, to help your Samoyed develop healthy eating patterns and habits. As these habits will surely follow them into adulthood.
Sticking to a timed feeding schedule, limiting treats, and providing nutrient-rich food are all good habits to get your dog into early on.
Samoyed feeding amounts for adult dogs
Most full-grown Samoyeds will do well on 2 smaller meals per day rather than 1 large meal. 2 smaller meals, spread between the morning and afternoon, ensures your dog won’t be hungry later on.
The exact amount of food depends on a number of factors. Size, gender, and activity level all play a role. But, generally speaking, you can expect your adult Samoyed to eat 2.5-3 cups worth of food each day.
As your dog gets older and less active, the amount they eat will reduce.
Most quality dog food brands will have suggested feeding amounts on the back of the packaging. These amounts are decided based on the weight of your dog and are a good guideline to follow.
If you get your Samoyed from a reliable breeder, they should have a fully fleshed-out feeding schedule already in place. Be sure to ask your breeder about your dog’s eating habits and why they’ve selected a certain food plan. Understanding this will help you determine if it’s a feeding schedule you’re going to stick to, or if it’s one you might change. As always, before you make any changes to your dog’s diet, consult your vet.
How to tell if your Samoyed is overweight
The most accurate way to tell if your dog is overweight is to schedule a weigh-in with your vet. But there are a few signs that suggest your dog is traveling down the road to obesity. Here’s what you can look out for before giving your vet a call.
Check their ribcage
You should be able to feel your dog’s rib cage without having to apply any pressure. If you run your hand over your Samoyed’s ribcage and can feel their bones through the fat, this is a sign they may be overweight.
Look for pockets of excess fat
While you’re petting your dog, feel around for fatty pockets. These pockets are often most notable on your dog’s legs. If you notice their legs tend to waddle while they walk, it’s a good indicator that your dog has extra fat.
Observe energy levels
Any Samoyed owner will tell you, these canines are full of energy. Some might even say they have too much energy. So, if you start to notice lethargic behavior from your dog, it could be related to weight gain.
Why a healthy weight is so important
Remember, hip dysplasia is commonly seen in larger dogs like the Samoyed. And any unnecessary weight will only put more pressure on their hips, increasing their chances of hip issues down the road. Additionally, obesity leads to diabetes and other serious conditions in dogs.
How to prevent overeating and weight gain
Sitting down at the dinner table only to find your smiling Samoyed looking up at you with puppy dog eyes isn’t uncommon. But, if you want to prevent overeating and weight gain, you need to keep table scrap snacks to a minimum. And remember, not all human food is safe for dogs.
Treatsare excellent motivators for training your Samoyed. Just be mindful of how many and how often you’re handing treats out. Just like Samoyed feeding amounts for dinner, there’s a correct amount of treats to give out too.
Treats should make up no more than 10% of your dog’s daily calorie intake. As with most things concerning dog health, you should consult your vet to help you with the math on this one.
It’s not surprising that picking high-quality dog food will go a long way in terms of avoiding weight gain in Samoyeds. But did you know the bowl your dog eats from matters too?
If your samoyed tends to inhale their food, there’s a product that can help. A slow-feeding bowl makes the dog food harder to get, thus forcing your pup to slow down.
- 【Slow Feeder Dog Bowls】Our slow feeder is made of non-toxic, eco-friendly , BPA-free and phthalate-free material. Non-skid rubber feet underneath design, stop the dog food bowl moving around.
- 【Fun Puzzle Design】The dog puzzle feeder is designed with some special patterns that can slow down eating for dogs and cats. The dog feeder’s puzzle pattern will let the dogs search food when eating, slow down the eating time up to 10 times compared to a normal dog food bowl. If your dog is a fast eater like bulldog, husky, you might need the slow feeder dog bowls to keep them healthy. If you are finding a puzzle dog food bowl or maze dog food bowl for your fur friends, this is a good choice.
- 【Multiple Choice】We provide different colors and sizes of dog bowls for fast eaters. The size of our small slow feeder bowl is about 2 cup (Diameter: 7.8”, High: 1.9”), the bigger one is about 6 cup (Diameter:11.8”, High: 2.4”), you can choose the small food bowl for the small breed dogs or medium breed dogs, the large one for large breed dogs.They can effectively slow down the eating speed, stop inhaling , prevent obesity and overeating. Just try the slow feeder to get a more healthy dog.
- 【Fun Eating Time】The special puzzle design will absolutely arouse your dogs or cats’ interest. The maze pattern inside the bowl will make every meals full of challenging but much more funny, help promoting intellectual development, recommend for all age dogs and cats from small breed to large breed. This is absolutely a great choice of puppy food bowl, puppy bowl and dog feeder.
- 【Easy to Clean】Our slow feeder bowl is suitable for dry food, wet food, cookies and water. You can easily rinse the food bowl with water. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us, we ‘ll response as soon as possible to make things right for you.
What to look for in Samoyed’s food
When looking for dog food for Samoyeds you’ll want to find one that’s high in animal proteins. This will contribute to high energy levels and a strong immune system.
Corn and wheat are grains commonly found in dog food. These grains are carbs and carbohydrates also give your dog energy. However, corn and wheat are often linked to obesity.
Instead, look for alternative grains like barley or oats. You can find plenty of grain-free foods as well. As always, your vet will be able to point you to the right food for your specific dog.
- (1) 22.0 pound Bag - Merrick grain free dry dog food real texas beef & sweet potato recipe
- Real deboned beef is always the first ingredient in this poultry free dog food
- Dry food for dogs with 65% protein and healthy fat ingredients and 35% produce, fiber, vitamins, minerals and other natural ingredients
- With 60% of protein from animal sources, the Merrick grain free dry dog food real texas beef & sweet potato recipe offers the ideal combination of protein and healthy fats to help a dog maintain optimal weight and increased energy
- Glucosamine and chondroitin help maintain healthy hips and joints, while omega fatty acids support healthy skin and shiny coat
Understanding Samoyed feeding amounts will take practice. But getting the amounts right is a key step in having a healthy companion.
Are you already a Samoyed owner? What is your Samoyed’s favorite food? And how does your dog let you know when it’s dinner time?