Want to make your home smell nice with a cinnamon broom? We don’t blame you, but as with many things, it’s worth checking to see how your dog would handle it. So, are cinnamon brooms toxic to dogs?
Cinnamon brooms are toxic to dogs, but how toxic depends on if the dog has ingested the powder or the essential oil. Cinnamon powder typically requires a dose of 1 teaspoon or more to start causing issues whereas the essential oil only requires a small amount. This depends on the dog though and can cause issues such as vomiting, diarrhea, difficulty breathing, or other unusual behaviors.
Table of Contents
What’s In A Cinnamon Broom?
To help be clear on whether or not cinnamon brooms are toxic to dogs, it’s important to know what’s in one. In short, a cinnamon broom is a broom with either or both cinnamon and cinnamon essential oil stuck to the bristles at the bottom. Usually, they are attached to the broom with glue.
So, are cinnamon brooms toxic to dogs?
Are Cinnamon Brooms Toxic To Dogs?
Regular brooms are not toxic to dogs. Dogs shouldn’t eat them, but they should be okay if they were to sniff or lick them. After all, we know dogs sniff and lick much worse.
The question is whether or not the cinnamon in the broom will be toxic to the dog in any way. The answer to this question is yes, but how serious it is can vary.
A big part of how serious it is depends on whether your dog ingested cinnamon powder or the essential oil. The powder requires a higher dose than the essential oil to cause problems (although it’s important to keep in mind if your dog ingested any amount you should monitor them and call your vet or a poison control helpline). The dose for the powder to cause problems is 1 teaspoon or more whereas the oil only needs a small amount although this can vary from dog to dog.
If you’re concerned your dog has ingested the powder or the essential oil, look for signs such as vomiting, diarrhea, difficulty breathing, or other abnormal behaviors. We also recommend reaching out to your vet or a poison control helpline as soon as possible.
What Is Toxic To Dogs?
There are many things that are toxic or harmful to dogs. These include but are not limited to alcohol, some trees, chorizo, some milk, some plants, garlic, chocolate, xylitol, avocado, onions, caffeine, grapes, raisins, macadamia nuts, fat, salt, bones not meant for dogs, and yeast. In general, we recommend not giving your dog anything not specifically made for them.
What About Essential Oils?
Dogs and essential oils just don’t mix. They definitely shouldn’t ingest them, and the smell could end up causing irritation or respiratory issues. Before using essential oils in your home, it’s worth a chat with your vet.
In Conclusion: Are Cinnamon Brooms Toxic To Dogs?
Unfortunately, when asking, “Are cinnamon brooms toxic to dogs?” the answer is yes. While ingesting a little cinnamon may not be as bad as other things that are toxic to dogs, we still don’t recommend letting them have any. Consider giving them a treat they’ll like instead!
So, still planning on using a cinnamon broom, or are you going to do something else instead? Going to put the broom somewhere your dog can’t reach it? We’d love to hear your solutions in the comments below!